Friday, July 31, 2009

Help me with breeding lovebirds!?!?

I just purchased a pair of Lovebirds from the local pet store. They are very bonded. I went to see them several times before I bought them, and they were always together and preening each other! I bought a nest box with them. When should I add the box? Should I wait since I am unsure of their age. Any help with this would be appreciated. I plan to hand feed the babies starting at 2-3 weeks of age. I mainly need to know when to add the box. Is there a risk of egg binding if the female is too young?
Answers:
"Yes, there is a high risk of egg binding in the female, since she's way too young to have babies, notice: lovebirds need to be at least 1 yr old to lay "fertile" eggs.

Also if you plan to hand-feed ur birds, u should probably wait until they're a bit older to add the nest box right in.

I'd say once they complete full plumage on their body would be the right time to add it in"
Just put in the box..it can't hurt!
The birds will figure things out on their own time...
don't worry
=p

Good luck!
Go ahead and put the box in so they get use to it.love birds can start laying in about a year.
Hi ,
I have a male and female and they were matched and got them from a petstore.I don't know how old they were. I enjoyed them untill one day there were 4 eggs in an extra dish on the side of the cage that I used for treats.Well Out of the four I had one that hatched and they took care of it very well. It was born in January and now is as big as the mother and dad. I told the lady at the petstore about the baby as she has many birds herself. I told her about the parents starting to chase it away from them when they are together and she told me to take it out of that cage and put it in its own. I did and it is happy.Next thing I have to do is call my vet which takes care of aviary and small animals also to find out what sex it is. So bad has to be a boy. Very playful and fun to watchPut the box in anytime. They may just lay them anywhere. Good luck with your babies.As long as the lovebirds were matched as male and female.

No comments:

Post a Comment