Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ducks as pets?

good idea or no?
Answers:
Ducks make wonderful pets.I would say depending on how you plan on keeping one would make a difference if it would be a logical choice.As far as a house pet no a duck wouldn't be very good.The reason being when they have to poop they just poop.They can't be trained because they don't have full bowel control.If you have a yard to keep them in and a means of keeping predators out they can be a wonderful pet.They are easy to handle and maintain.Ducks don't have to have a pool for swimming though it is recommended.You can also landscape an area for ducks which the ducks can benefit from and as well it can add to the beauty of your yard.So if you are considering a duck factor in it's needs and the amount of effort you wish to put into it.
no because they are considered wild and need water for swimming and survival and such.
if you have lake
No, geese are better for guarding as they make a noise very early when they detect strangers. My folks had two geese when they got married.
Only if you plan on living out in the country or lake where there is wide open space but other wise I would say no.
not if you can help it...i have had ducks.they eat all your flowers and get everywhere with their...poop..but..my sister.in. law had no choice but to raise an orphened wood duck...it is family pet for almost 10 years...do not just go get one..but take care if it is thrown your way...
I'd say yes,
If trained from a young age, ducks are just as loveable as a cat.
Though, its needed that you keep it in a certain restrained area b/c ducks go poo whenever they feel like it. And you don't want that in your living room.

But have a small little kiddie pool in your backyard and he will be just fine.
They even work well as a guard, squawking at newcomers that pass into his domain.
Fences are needed as well, or else he will just walk off.
Yes, ducks do make good pets...

It is important to acquire the duck at a very young age to ensure the animal bonds with you as a parental figure. If you get one at a later age, they will tend to be more wild.

Important to remember ducklings are ready to go right out of the shell so, its not common to get one as early as a few days old. Just a get a good supply of chick starter from your local feed store or TSC and ensure it has access to free choice feed and water and it will be fine.

Ducks are born knowing how to swim but, even a duck can drown. Especially a young chick. Make sure you limit your chicks time in the water and keep a close eye on it while it is swimming. Ducks usually begin to get their feathers around 5wks of age. Once the feathers are fully in your duck is virtually weather-proof.

If you do get a young chick, make sure you have safe place for it while it is young. A chicks nature is to hide when you are not around so make sure your young chick has good safe place to do that. Some thing as simple as dish towel in its pen will provide a safe and comforting environment when you are not around. Also, never leave large containers of water in your young chicks pen. Again, a young chick can easily drown so only leave a small shallow dish for the chick to get water.

Good luck with your duck,
Quack, Quack
I have 6 Peking(big white ducks),2 Drakes/4 Hens. I really enjoy them and love watching them play in their pools that I have put in for them BUT when they are gone I would have to really really seriously rethink getting anymore.
First off,I have given up on having clean water for them to swim in because as soon as they hit the water they poop and poop and poop somemore. Within minutes that water is soooo NASTY!
Then wherever the pool water runs over and it creates
water puddles,they dig and sift the mud. To the point that they will actually bury their whole face in the mud. . .course they look hilarious but then into the water they go and get the already dirty water even more dirty.
They are total eating machines. I also have 11 chickens and between the ducks and chickens I go through almost 200lbs of feed every 5 weeks with the ducks eating the most.
Breeding time is brutal. The Drake continually hammers the Hen. Feathers on her head are gone,true flesh is showing and would have started bleeding had I not seperated them.
When mating in the water the Drake holds the Hen's head under water long enough you begin to wonder if she is dead.
When I had to move my Drakes into one pen together,they got pretty mad at me,turned and hissed at me and acted like they wanted to charge me. . course I knew they couldn't really hurt me but I didn't want the confrontation.
Though I raised all of these ducks from ducklings,after they became totally grown they haven't been the "follow me around" type pet my first duck was when I was a kid. They act like they are wild ducks that I picked up from our city park and avoid me when I get in the pen with them.
They don't really take alot of work and they ARE fun to watch but you take what I have told you and YOU decide if you think a duck is a good pet or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment