Friday, July 31, 2009

Has anyone hear the sound of a Kookaburra before?

A Kookaburra is a kingfisher live in Australia?
Has anyone been to outback steak house and taste one before, also.
Answers:
Kookaburras are the largest member of the Kingfisher family. I wouldn't call them "damn things". Their call is one of the most beautiful sounds. I have a Kookaburra who is recovering from a broken wing in my living room at the moment. I love it when he calls! Just like human laughter, I find it contagious and always giggle when he laughs. And, those "kookaburra wings" at Outback Steak House are chicken wings. Pretty much the same as Buffalo Wings.
i hear the damn things every morning. they are very loud and sound like they are laughing. yes, they are a kingfisher and native to australia, and quite common.

and yes, i went to outback steakhouse while i was in new york - it was crap and didnt have much that was australian about it.
Kookaburra's sound amazing! What's funny is that when movies have african jungle scenes, they'll often use a kookaburra voice to give it that "jungle" sound. Movies also put macaws in African settings too. Weird.

I've been to Outback Steakhouse. I agree, not much "Aussie" about it but the Caesar salad I had was good.
Ack, I used to think the call of a kookaburra was cute, it sounds like laughing.

Until I went camping for two weeks in a tent and every night at 3am.. I would hear the start up.. "kuuurrrrrr..." oh hell no... "KOOOOGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA"
Oh gosh, they are so loud and go on for hours and I would be dead tired the next morning. It is the most ridiculous and annoying sound when you are woken up by it every night.
Plus on top of that, the bat's screaming at the same time also kept me awake. Screaming and laughing. Great.

Yes, Kookaburras are Australian kingfishers, and no I've never eaten one.
It is a type of kingfisher yes. They often play kookaburra sounds in movies that have jungles in them. Funny enough kookaburras live in the bush. I love the sound of kookaburas. You can actually get them over here as pets. I had wild kookaburas sit on my arm a few times in Australia in my backyard. As well as magpies, cockatoos (umbrella, black crested and rose breasted) and lorikeets.

They don't sell kookaburra meat in the outback steak house. The outback steak house is a gimmick. Have you tried the steak? It ain't cooked on an open barbie thats for sure! I think they should try and match it at least a little to what real Aussie food is like. Same goes for the sausage rolls the US sells over here at "Aussie cafes". They are hotdogs not sausage rolls, get it right! LOL

If you want real Aussie food in the US, you really need to visit Australia in person. I now live in the US and had spent the past 27 years living in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment