Thursday, July 30, 2009

Has anybody had success with an oriole feeder?

I've had one for 2 years and I have managed to attract only one oriole one day over the two years. If you had success using one, could you please give me some tips such as a good place to hang it, etc?
Answers:
I live in MN, and have had the best luck with the type of oriole feeder that offers jelly, rather than the type that offers sugar water or nectar. They seem to prefer grape jelly. We usually have at least one pair of orioles, and my husband and I have to fill the jelly feeders at least twice a day all summer long. The parents bring the fledglings to the feeder, too. We have it hanging on a metal "shepherd's hook" pole, right next to my husband's office window, very near our deck. The orioles don't seem to be bothered by the activity, although they are more cautious if anyone goes outside on the deck. We also have the nectar/sugar water feeder, but the hummingbirds claim that, and we provide fresh apples and oranges for the birds in addition to the seed, so we get many species flying in and out of our yard all day. The orioles don't seem bothered by the other birds.
The only people I know that have had success with oriole feeders already had orioles coming into their area. The feeders then drew the birds closer in so that they could see them better. In our part of upstate NY very often they are just a transient bird and you will only get them when they are passing thru.
I think your luck with Orioles depends a lot on where you live. I live in a suburban area and get get nearly every kind of bird common to my area except Orioles and Red-Headed Woodpeckers. However my grandparents who live about 20 miles from me in a more rural area have a ton of orioles and they are gorgeous! They have their feeder hanging in a large deciduous tree that is about 30 feet from the house, and 50 yards or so from the tree line/woods line . . . the next nearest tree or form of cover is maybe 25 feet away. Orioles prefer feeders that are reliably filled, and also like a source of water (although my grandparents do not have one).

Good luck . . . but it might be orioles just don't care for the area where you live.
We don't get many orioles down here, 'cept a few Baltimore Orioles...

here's a link that may be of interest, my purple feathered friend!

http://www.petcaretips.net/oriole.html...
Reading out of my bird book. Oriole like wooded area, or trees. I live in Indiana I never get them because of living in the city. My brother live near Richmond and live in a wooded area and can attract them with citrus. Also I was reading they will eat out of humming bird feeders too.

I hope this gives a bit a info
Web site for you info: http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/searc...
I had some orioles coming to my hummingbird feeder and they were so heavy they kept breaking it.so went out and bought an "oriole feeder" for them so they would leave the hummingbirds alone. They NEVER used the oriole feeder, just kept going to the hummer feeder. I then put out some orange slices for them (nailed to trees) and put out grape jelly for them and that did the trick. Have you put out fruit or jelly for them? They may respond to this better than the feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment