Thursday, July 30, 2009

Handling a new parakeet?

Just yesterday a brought a new parakeet home. I was wondering how long I should wait before starting to handle her?

Since she鈥檚 only been her cage for a day and is still settling in (has not made a peep or moved around much yet) I don鈥檛 want to freak her out by handling her when she's still getting use to "home". But also dont want to wait so long that she becomes afraid of me trying to touch her.

Is there anyone familiar with parakeets that could help me out?
Answers:
Here's a step-by-step process how to hand-tame your parakeet.

http://www.budgieplace.com/taming.html...

Good luck!
i just got my parakeet about a month ago i started hanldling mine the day after i got and a couple time the night i got it.mine didn't make a sound either till i turned the radio on which was pretty funny.the day after i got mine by tht afternoon my parkeet would step right on my finger which is pretty cool.then i got my second parakeet and they hardly shut up ne more i have to put a dark blankey over them so they'll be quiet for a little bit.neways i'd say go ahead and work with ur parakeet the more it gets used to u the better it'll be ..good luck
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles...

this website is the greatest!!! i went to this website when i got my parakeet.,. its great for before you get a parakeet, and after.
I just want to let you know. you have nothing to worry about. Your parakeet is just trying to get used to the new environment. The best way to handle this is to change her food gently, in a tame manner every day, so she gets used to your hand being inthe cage. Leave her alone for two to three weeks, but talk to her, whistle around her, sing, put her near the T.V. Let her hear the sound of running water( They become very calm.) Just interact wiht her without touching her or getting TOO close to her. After these two or three weeks are over, try giving her a bath in a sink or bathtub.
let her settle in for 2 or 3 days. once you see her preen(clean her feathers) and chirp, it is a good siqn that she is comfortable in her habitat.this is the time to interact with her.please visit my source to see how to hand tame her.good luck during the training.

No comments:

Post a Comment