Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hand Feeding Lovebirds!?

Mine just hatched today =P! I'm probably thinking of hand feeding them so I know what to get them such as a heating pad. I know that I have to feed them every 31/2-4 hours and you should start at 7:00am to 11:00pm. But I go to school at 8:50 and come back at 4:00. So can I feed them at 7 and then again at 9 and then 12:20 and then 4 and so on, so is that okay? My second question is how long do I have to go feeding them every 3-4 hours because the babies range from 2-3 weeks old. When do I start changing the schedule. Thanks!
Answers:
let the mother rear them unless you have to then start to handle them a lot when feathers come on they will be just as friendly
My mother hand feeds but she has more time to devote than you. Just handle them after about a week of their mothers feeding. Make sure you give the mother plenty of greens, veggies and fruits with the regular diet. Think about this the mother will try to protect her offspring (that hurts) good luck.
Since your schedule is rough... i'd recommend pulling them out of the nest around 5 weeks old. This way... you can begin hand feeding them at around 2 x / day. Starting to feed a baby that just hatched is a very risky, and time consuming job. You may have to feed them very frequently for about 4 weeks until you can get them onto 3 feedings. It's better to let the parents do the work for a while. Pulling them at 5 weeks doesnt mean the bird will have less of a chance of bonding with you or new owners.
since you dont have the time to invest in feeding them as often as they need fed you can always pull them several times a day and handle them you can also at about 4-5 weeks start feeding them a feeding or two a day. They will let you know when their schedual need changed.

If you dont have the time they truely need to be hand fed leave it up to the parents to do this. you wouldnt want to kill them by not feeding them enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment