Thursday, July 30, 2009

Getting My Parrot To Wear A Bird Diaper?

Any tips for getting my rainbow lorikeet to wear his bird diaper?

He is one years old but I know it is still possible to get a parrot to wear one regardless of age, just not as easy as a baby bird.

I made a little more progress the other day, but it is hardly anything. He likes to play with the diaper, he thinks it's an awesome toy. I've been setting him on it and then praising him for standing there.
Today I was able to pull the side pieces up but not as far as velcroing them because he will then try to run away/bite me hard. So we'll play with the diaper again until we get to that stage again...

However, it really does feel like we are getting nowhere. I'm trying to be patient and this has been going on for a few months now... x__x Also would it be better to put it on him by getting him to stand in it or hold him?

It's better than the feather tether anyway, really got nowhere with that, he hates things going over his head...
Answers:
I have one! My bird does not like hers, so I have to fight with her much like one does with a toddler to get them to wear clothes. (very gently though) Once on, she picks at it a bit until I pet her and she gets to go somewhere, then it is like she does not have it on. She loves to go for walks when the weather is warm and sunny.***If I just clipped my bird's wings, the wind would still blow her off. Even the with diaper on, the wind has taken her off my shoulder. But, the diaper kept her from being blown away. I think people are in confusion over the name. I use mine strickly has a harness to keep my bird safe when I take her outdoors. She loves going outside even if it is only to check the mail or sit on my shoulder on the patio. I tried taking her out with just clipped wings before. Once she jumped off my shoulder to play in the sprinklers and another time she fluttered over to the pond I guess just to check things out. After that, I make sure to have her diaper on her when outside. I am really a good mom to my bird. I have even taken her for a walk on the Ohio beach in Chicago before. And once she went with me to do a fundraiser for children. I was dressed as a pirate and she was on my shoulder, we used the diaper then too. She loved the attention she got from the children. As I held her, she "shook hands" with them. So, the diaper really is not to control poopies, it is really a tool to keep the bird safe, while allowing them more opportunities to be more involved in your life.
I bought mine one and he would never wear it. He's a Goffin Cockatoo. He was 6 when I adopted him. I found that I was able to easily train him to poop on command or on his cage. I really just would praise him when he would poop on his cage and then pick him up, and praise him. NEVER yell at them for pooping on you or on something, because some will hold it too long and that is dangerous. You probably already knew that, but it wouldn't have been responsible of me not to say it,lol.
I have a retail pet store and bird diapers are one of the things I see no use for. Are you aware that birds are easily trained to go where you want on command? Only takes a little patience. That is why I do not recommend bird diapers. Why stress a bird or yourself unnecessarily?
Here's how to begin to train. Set a piece of newspaper or whatever you want the waste to fall on, on the rug or floor directly in front of where you are sitting. Every day, while holding the bird for a few minutes, occasionally hold the bird over the newspaper. When the bird poos, you praise it or offer a small treat. You will see, in 2-3 months, even with the largest parrots how easy birds are to train. I have 3 large parrots and several tiels that I hold regularly. I also trained 2 Quakers, a lovebird and a Nanday conure. Eventually the bird will go to the edge of your leg and reach the paper by itself. Have been training birds this way for over 10 years.
In Australia, this is one of the times where we would say "only in America".
I have been breeding cockatiels and budgies for years and have never heard of a bird Diaper or nappy as we would call it.
Why don't you spend a little time training him to "poop" on demand.
All my inside birds now "poop" onto a tissue about 95% of the time when asked.
Of cause the bird doesn't like it, its not normal for birds to wear a diaper/nappy.

Edit.
I'm sorry that I thought you lived in America, but as they are called "Bird Diapers" they have obviously been designed in the U.S
If you only want your bird to be safe, is it possible to make up a little harness yourself, possibly using cotton tape and Velcro spots.
I am 54yrs old and when I think I have heard it all then something like this comes up and I know I must not have heard it all.
Why is everyone wanting to change nature?
Why not accept the bird for being a bird and doing this means that the bird is going to crap when it needs to crap.
(Who cleans up the mess when you take the diaper off?)

I read an answer that says he has his bird trained to crap on command? He oughta sell tickets for that one.

If I had a bird that I wanted to walk etc I would want to do so to show the bird off and how can you show a bird off when they are covered up with a diaper? Jack Hannah takes birds on television shows all the time and he never uses a diaper,he allows the bird to be a bird and if it craps on David Letterman's desk then so be it. . . couldn't happen to a more deserving person.
Take a box of Kleenex with you and wear a shirt that it doesn't hurt to get bird crap on.

We had a Blue/Green MacCaw when we were kids growing up and when the bird crapped. . and boy did he crap,we just cleaned it up whether it was on the bird tray,the floor or on our shirts. The bird was so impressive looking that most people didn't pay any attention to the "present" that the bird left.

Not only are we as humans taking away the environment that exotic birds live in. . . we are now trying to teach them to adapt to fit our needs and wants?
A BETTER alternative is toilet training your bird.

My mini-macaw is both toilet trained and napkin trained (a great assett while visiting and inside a place where pooping is not good manners.

Its easy to do, why so many people don't do it because they dont' think its possible amazes me.

Use a good phrase while holding the bird over a place where pooping is permitted (a trashcan or napkin or garden) - mine is 'Go Poopie" and gently nudge your hand up and down just a little. Do that often and after just a few days your bird will respond (all little kids have accidents so don't be discouraged).
Hi there. Wow, this has been going on for months? So sorry. At this point, I think the cause is lost. The communication didn't come across for some reason. Clipping a birds wings correctly will stop them from flying away and they can glide to the ground in case of falling off something. If you have the patience, you can potty train your bird. Perhaps allow him to relieve himself on newspaper that you bring with you. It's just an idea. http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/ef8ja... As far as the diaper/harness. Put the bird in it, hold him gently but firmly and give him treats and praise for the achievement. Coaxing isn't working. Carry him around with it on and softly talk and stroke your bird. That didn't come out right, sorry. Lots of carrying and treats and praises. Good luck to you and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment