Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ducks?? Is this normal?

My neighbors male malard duck keeps coming up to my house and mating with my female malard. The problem is my female is on a nest with eggs. He pulls her off of her nest and mates with her again. He has pulled all the feathers off the top of her head and she has blood coming off of her. What can I do? I have called the neighbor and she does nothing about it. I am about to shoot it!
Answers:
Yes this is normal.
I have 6 Peking (white) ducks. 2 Drakes(males) and 4 Hens.
One of the Drakes is older and bigger and not only does he want to take care of his hen,he goes after the hens with the other Drake.
He has hammered these hens sooo much that they too are missing some feathers on their heads and he has blinded one hen (I suppose in his efforts of holding her down ).
The only thing I could figure to do was to seperate the two bunches of ducks and did so immediately and now all is well.
I have always been told that duck mating can appear to be brutal and that often times the Drake almost drowns the Hen when mating in water and I can vouch for this as well as I have put in two little ponds for my ducks and I have witnessed near drowning on several ocassions.
Since you have already spoken with the neighbor to no avail then I think I would call your local Animal Control or Police Department and see if they can intervene. If not you will probably have to pen up your hen.
You might try trapping her Drake and returning him and explain to her that if the Drake comes back,the next time you catch it you will be turning it over to your local Animal Control.
just another horny duck quaking off , call the cops he's trespassing
I would prepare for a nice roast duck dinner...they are very yummy. You have done your part...called the neighbour, they opted to do nothing..so now the ball is in your court..or rather the drake is in your court...
I used to live in an RV park that had domesticated ducks. Their actions were very similar to those you describe. Most of the females were pretty beaten up by the end of the summer and had spent most of their time sitting on eggs. Those horny male ducks went after the females all summer.

If she is the only female duck around the male is going to really work her over well and can cause bleeding. You need to have 3 to 5 females so the male doesn't go after her alone. Chickens will do the same thing if there are not enough females around.
Probably depends on what country you live in..
But i would say, that if you find a duck inside your house, you can put in your oven safely and legally. Besides, who's going to know where it went?
As long as she is already nesting she is no longer fertile this is the problem call your local aspca and have them remove it or take your duck to the vet and give her the bill.Dont let him keep doing this to her thats not fair.Keep him out.
Lock the other neighbors duck out. Build a pen around your females and make sure that the other duck gets no food, then maybe he'll go home. I advise against not killing their duck, if they are not nice enough to came get it, who says they won't sue you for killing their pet.
You can get in trouble for shooting this male duck. He is protected by the Federal Gov. It is not hunting season yet. So be carefull The white duck you have is yes a WHITE PEKING
Why can't you block the door to your duck house?

No comments:

Post a Comment