Friday, May 21, 2010

How do i hand feed a baby bird?

I am thinking of geting a bird but i want to get an egg but i dont know how to hand feed it ???
Answers:
I think there is probably a baby bird formula that you can get. You feed the baby with a small syringe. I've never done this but when I was a kid, my grandpa hand raised 2 lovebirds. I remember him feeding some kind of gruel with a syringe.
you've really got to regurgitate, or it won't eat and it will starve
You really shouldn't. Baby birds require round-the-clock care and very very delicate fingers.
I work at Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research. Here, for baby birds...
They start out in incubators. They are fed every 30 minutes, of a mixture of soaked and blended dog/cat food, egg yolk, vitamins, and yogurt, plus other supplements. Soaked mealworms, tiny pieces of fruit, etc, depending on age, species. They are fed through blunt plastic syringes, 1/2 a cc every feeding.
Really, don't try to do this if you don't know anything about it. Leave the baby bird care to the experts. There's a special way to feeding, and you have to give the birds water with every feeding, too.

Regurgitation is not necessary.
You should consider getting a baby from a shop where the bird is handfed on premesis. This way you can still bond with your bird while it is being raised. It is not true that the perosn who hand feeds a baby from the day it's hatched... forms the best bond. Its risky and not for beginners. You could end out losing a lot of money and your bird.
You should find a good breeder. When I got my Quaker I was allowed to come over at any and all of the feedings to feed the baby. I was able to do it because I was supervised and coached by the breeder. I only decided to do it a few times as it was so stressfull wondering if I was doing it right., instead I just went twice a day and handled the baby and left the feeding to the professionals.
First you need to learn and be comfortable with it, the slightest error could result in death if your unsure. Kaytee has an excellent Baby Bird Formula, I would suggest find a breeder or a local pet shop where they hand feed and they can teach you how properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment