Friday, May 21, 2010

How did my dear lovebird die?

Codi was healthy and happy, and only 8 years old. He stayed at a friends house for a while. She used to keep birds. He died for no known reason. When I saw his body four days later, the only thing unnatural about him was that there was lots of red blood in the veins in his beak. I don't know anything else. I couldn't tell if his neck broke because of the rigor mortis. Please help me, he was a good, old friend of mine.
Answers:
I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved Codi.Its so painful to lose such a special friend.I dont know the lifespan of a lovebird but maybe he died of old age.They are real good at hiding illness so if he was sick , you may not have known.Unfortunately you will probably never know.The hard part is the emptiness we feel without our beloved friend.Time is a great healer.I wish you peace .May your tears turn to smiles as you think of the happy times you shared with your most cherished baby!
Did someone use an areosol can in the same room with him? Furniture polish or hair spray? Maybe Febreeze for the carpet or couch? Any of these types of sprays can affect birds ability to breathe. The red in the veins may mean his body tried to help him breathe but with no good effect.

Other than the spray thing I would think the second might just be his heart wasnt as healthy as you thought -i mean after all how would you know.
If anyone held the bird, if you hold it flat of its back for more than 10 seconds you will kill it because that stops the heart of bird. I accidently killed my moms bird that way and later i was told by a vet that holding a bird flat of its back stops the heart that could be what happened. Sorry to hear this happened to you.
SO sorry to hear that! .. tho iv never seen a passed lovebird, or any bird, with red veins showing on the beak! that could be some kind of post-mortom thing that happens. stress alone can kill a bird. im sad to say that their is no way to tell with out a necropsy . could have been something in the home of the babysitter, but you said they raised birds before.i would say let it RIP and know that these things happen
Sad to read this. I had parrot Rinki who died 2 year back. I miss her a lots. I never had love birds but yes Iam giving you website and hope this make you feel cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment