Friday, May 21, 2010

How do I go about training my parakeet?

I have had her almost two months now. She is 8 months old and I am working on training her. The only thing is she screams a lot, then stops and does it again. Does that mean I am slowly breaking her in? She still bites me pretty hard when I hold her too. Then I will put her back in her cage, leave the room for a bit then when I come back she starts to stretch and the feathers go up on her head. Is that a good thing?
Answers:
If she ruffles than she is recognizing you when you go into the room.

I've had several keets and they are great pets. first take it slow. why do you hold her, she might not like that. its better to get her to stand on your finger. allow her to get on and off your finger while she is still in the cage, or at least at the door of the cage so she builds up some trust. once she gets comfortable and trusts you she will move up your arm all by herself until she gets to your shoulder. this might take a couple of weeks so don't get impatient. this is where the fun begins. she should play with your hair and nibble on you ear. she may bite, but if she does simply take her off your shoulder and make her go back into the cage for a bit. she will learn not to bite soon enuf.

if you don't clip her wings she will learn fly to you and to land on your shoulder when you come into the room. if she tries to land on your head, simply hold your arm up to give her another place to land, she will learn eventually.

i always allowed my birds to sit on my shoulder or arm while i was goofing off, they like hanging with you. don't be surprised if they poo a little, they do that every now and then.

good luck
you cant i havetwo parekeets and when i try to train them it does not work! sorry!

good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment