Friday, May 21, 2010

How do I get my parakeets to stop fighting?

It's a mother and a daughter (I think) parakeet. They got along fine except for the occasional pecking, but I've heard that pecking is play for them. They're untamed.

Today they got into this huge fight. They were tackling each other on the bottom cage and they had their claws digging into each other. They both refused to let go. I had to separate them with my hands, and the mother parakeet's foot is cut. She licked it clean and it's now a scab. (Gross, I know).

Now they're being all lovey-dovey and preening each other. I don't want them to fight like this when I'm not home. This is the first time that this has happened.

There is one food bowl and one water bowl in the cage. I will try to get another one of each so its less of a territory issue.
Answers:
I looked up a Parakeet website...look up parakeet care and Lisa Shea's website should pop up. She says that keets are like 3 year olds...they fight, make up, and love each other. So I guess you have to take the good with the bad...look up her site to see if there might be some more tips...Hope this helps!
I'm not a bird expert, so you might want to ask a vet if 2 females can share the same cage. If that seems ok, then try a bigger cage, and try to give them toys to play with, sit them next to a window (protected from direct sunlight) so they can see out the window. Leave classical music on the radio or TV when you leave. Talk to them and give them attention. Birds become very attached to their human companions. Give them lots and lots of attention. If you can't or don't have the time, maybe you should find another home for them.
I have two parakeets also, and this behavior is completely normal around springtime. You have nothing to worry about, but if you want to be safe. Keep them in seperate cages while you aren't home and when you come home, open the cages and let them interact. Do this for three weeks to a month and see how they get along. If they fight, keep them separated. If they get along, put them together. Trust me, it works.
I always heard that the girls fight the most...and like any mother and daughter, well I'm not surprised. lol Since they patched it up then hopefully it won't be a common occurrence.

How old are they? Is the younger young enough to have now hit being "of age" and the mother is maybe feeling more territorial over it, or the daughter testing who is top bird?

No comments:

Post a Comment