Sunday, August 2, 2009

How can i tell the difference between an Amazon Parrot male or female?

I have an Amazon Parrot at home that seem to life up its tail at me everytime I touch him/her? I am not sure maybe some sexual behavor. I was wondering if there is a way i can tell if its a male or female. i should also add that I am the only person that can touch the bird. If my brothers try to touch him/her tryes to bite. I got this bird about one year ago from a friend of a friend so I dont know much about its history.
Answers:
by its pecker?
the male well be brighter in color
You check for a PENIS or a VAGINA.

Birds have those genital too...

HHAHAH
I have a parrot to its a male the pet store owner told me he is pretty dark. Im pretty sure that the female has a little bit lighter tone than the male parrot.
I think the only way to tell for sure is through a DNA sample that a vet can do. That is how my sister found out the sexes of her birds. Alot of birds become one-owner birds and will attack anyone but the one they bond to. They are very tempermental! But none-the-less entertaining and fun! Best of luck with your newly acquired Amazon! LL
You may go to:
www.healthgene.com/avian/dna_s...

This will tell you how to sex your bird. Most birds do pick their favorite people. Guess you're the one!
The best way is to do DNA sexing. I think vent sexing is possible, but DNA sexing is much easier, and not too expensive.
Its is very difficult to tell the difference, the best way are to look at the color( males have a bit brighter colors) or you can go to your local vet and ask for a DNA test or a surgical sex test. My bird had a surgical test and it took about 10 minutes and after that she was ready to play. The problem about the DNA test is that it takes a very long time to get the results and the vet will need to make your bird bleed. The Surgical test is very quick and is cheaper then the DNA test, the only problem is that they need to give your bird some gas to make it fall asleep. You will need to not give your bird food for a few hours but after the test you can feed it. I hope this helps.
Males and females have the same behavior, but if you really want to know what sex they are take the bird to an Avian and have a sex test ran. All it they do is draw blood, and it will help you. If you have a female they need calcium just like us females, for when thhey start laying eggs they get depleated from calcium, and if they are not laying thier might be a problem.
I was told by a breeder that if a female starts lifting its tail when touched it may lay an egg. I guess you would know for sure then. If you really need to know get a dna test it doesn't cost much.
You can wait for an egg or compare your amazon to a known male or female (females in general tend to be bigger) but really the best way is through dna sexing. And every bird we've had since I was a little kid has preferred one gender of person to another.
It is very hard to tell the sex but it sounds like you may have a female. We have a yellow naped amazon that we thought was male but last year she layed 2 eggs.she also did the tail in the air thing accompanied by a horrible whiny screech.
Amazons usually prefer one person , mine loves me and will tolerate my hubby but that is it no one else can get close

No comments:

Post a Comment