Sunday, August 2, 2009

How are turkey as pets?

Are they similar to a chicken

I'm talking if a turkey was hatched in an incubater and raised in a house and held and petted alot, and when its bige enough lives outside in a pen

would it become as tame as a pet chicken, or will it retain some sort or aggression?
Answers:
When i was a kid I had two pet turkeys and they were almost like having a dog. They followed me to the bus stop every morning and when I got home would be waiting on me. I could call them and they would come running just like a dog would do. Only thing is that we didnt keep them in pens they just ran free outside, but we did live on a dirt road with few houses on it. Oh and they didnt like people with red hair for some reason.
it will have some aggression but overall not too much.
remember they have claws and spurs.
Delicious
I used to have two turkeys who I loved! They followed me everywhere. They loved me too. They did still get agressive when others came, especially little kids. Plus they poop whenever, in the house etc. I doubt you could train them not to. They're actually pretty dumb. I didn't incubate them though. I just bought them as little chicks. I loved mine.
Turkeys are stupid and never get over it. Plus when they poop...sheeesh what a mess. Chickens are friendlier and a little more intelligent. At least a chicken won't look in the sky and drown if it rains. Our turkeys always pecked at us, the chickens knew not to bite the hand that feeds them. Why would you want a Turkey as a "pet"? Parrots are much more affectionate.
In terms of affection, yes they are on the same scale as chickens. In general, the more you hold and stroke them and generally give them attention, the tamer they will be.

Turkeys aren't exactly known for their aggression.
not usually, turkey's are wild, like guinnea fowl, not very friendly. You could try to make friends with them very gradually, though. If you get turkeys you should put them in a pen outside, they are far too messy to be living inside, plus its cruel because it is not at all like their natural living environment. Also, you should get more than one turkey, they need a buddy so they don't die from lonesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment