Sunday, August 2, 2009

How can I help my cockatiel?

We found her on our front yard wandering on our porch and made her our pet since nobody claimed her. We've had her for 2 years and she lives with my conure in a large cage. She's very paranoid about everything and doesn't like anyone touching her and flies/runs away from us. (So maybe her past owners mistreated her?) She likes when the conure nibbles her neck or head but then 2 seconds later she attacks him as if she forgot who the other bird was. She always isolates herself when I take her our and bring her into my room. She likes to stand next to my closet mirror for hours. (I'm guessing she thinks of her reflection as a kind of her own to company her?). But my mom doesn't want to buy her another one and if we gave her to someone who would, my conure would be devasted because the conure is protective over her, but it seems like the cockatiel doesn't really care. Also, she always plucks her own chest feathers and screams while she does so as if shes hurting herself. Is she depressed?
Answers:
There is a book called Good Bird! by Barbara Heidenreich. I recommend that you get it. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1895270278?tag=...
you should call your local vet about the plucking while screaming. you should try to tame her; clip her wings. if you are sure that the concure is cleaning her than im not sure she does that. she may also fight with other cockatiels, so if she does than she is aggressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment