Thursday, July 30, 2009

Guinea hens??

I am geting a Shipment of 100 French Guinea Kheets this year and had a few questions. How long should they stay pened up? (we have a large barn stall for this) What color are the French Guinea? How do they handel cold weather as adults? and any other info you can give me would be grate!
Answers:
This is an excellent site that really helped me when I first started keeping guineas. http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/...
From my personal experience keeping them penned for a week was sufficient. They are tough birds. And real characters. I don't know how they handle cold, but I know they handled the heat this past summer better than any of my other poultry. And it gets up to 48 C here.
You should have found all this out BEFORE you bought them!!!

There are care sheets online. Type French Guinea Kheets into Yahoo Search and many will come up.
They're big grey birds with bald heads. I see them running around in fields all the time so they'll be fine if you want to let them go free range, and they should be able to handle the cold just fine from what I've seen.
http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guin...
check out this site, it really looks good. Lots of info.

Here is a quote about snow from the website

"Yes, guinea fowl do like to get out for some exercise and fresh air even in the winter. On a snowy, but calm day when there are no weather warnings or hazardous conditions, let them out! Prepare to help first timers back into the henhouse at night. Some may freak out at their first snow, but as you can see in the picture below, they will get use to it, walk on it, and enjoy finding many seeds and such along fencerows and grasses that protrude through the snow."

No comments:

Post a Comment