Friday, July 31, 2009

Help with taming cockatiel?

Hey, please only give professional help, okay?
I've got a cockatiel now, and I've had him for over 4 years. I never managed to tame him, but I would really like to. I've got another, younger cockatiel that I HAVE tamed, and the two live in the same cage.
My older cockatiel is really nice. He's smart and witty, and he likes to explore. We let them both out in the sunroom almost daily, and he'll come back into the cage when we put them away. If I put my finger in the cage, he'll even nibble at it curiously.
But whatever I do, I can't seem to get close enough to touch him, or convince him to stand on my finger. I've tried just about everything. What can I do??
Answers:
One method – clip his wings. If you’ve never done it before, I’d highly recommend taking him in to a professional first (many avian vets will do this). Be sure not to clip too many or too close. You want to allow him enough lift to still be able to gently glide 15-20 feet, not drop like a rock.

Pros – He will have to learn to trust your finger as a perch since he won’t have the option of flying off on his own.

Cons – This can lead to other destructive behavior and habits he might not have presently (feather plucking, over preening, self mutilation).

Unless you clip both birds, this can create an imbalance of power among the two… which can lead to unforeseen behaviors in both birds.

If someone were to break both your feet and you ended up in a wheel chair for a few months, how would you feel? Don’t think it will be any different for you bird. The same psychological trauma of being dependent on someone else and unable to get around on your own will all apply. It’s one thing if the bird has never learned to fly; it’s another to steal it away from them.

Think like a bird.

There are a couple of ways you can try.

Out of the cage:
When you see him, offer him his favorite treat, but ONLY when you spend time with him, not as part of his meal or hanging in his cage.
Let him come to you for the treats.
Start by giving it directly to him, and then move slightly farther away each day so that he has to come to you.
In time he’ll learn that you = treats!

In the cage:
Keep his cage below eye level.
Spend time around him, but not directly with him.
Bring the cage inside and place him near you when you sit down to watch TV, read the newspaper or a book, etc.
If you can’t bring him in, then set a chair next to his cage and do the same thing.
Let him get accustomed to you being in a very close proximity, without “harassing” him in the safety of his cage.

Just remember patience and routine are essential. Do the same thing every day for set amounts of time. Birds can’t be forced to do something they don’t want, but they can be convinced to do something you both want. Between both of those, he’ll be comfortable around you and learn that you’re a good thing. With enough patience he might willingly fly down to you and land on you in time.
It is too late to tame a 4 yr old if there were not tame before. If they do not have the basis when they are young, you can never really tame him. He may eventually go on your finger just to follow the other bird, but you will not be able to pet him.

I have a male right now that was hand tame until 1 yr old, and then his next owner did nothing with him for a year. Then I get him at two years- bits so hard the wound drips blood for a half hour. After 7 months, he will now follow me on to my finger, but ONLY if the other bird is out. If I go to get him first, he will attack.

If he did not have that basic, instinctual "step up" command from when he was a baby, I know that I would never have been able to get him to step on my finger.
Here's a couple if tips. 1)Be sure your,cage is lower then eye level. This tells them you are head bird in charge!!. 2) Make sure wings are clipped properly. Be sure to check for blood feathers, DO NOT CUT THOSE!!! Clipping wings tends to calm them considerably.
Now, everyday try to get him to sit on you finger. Place your finger long ways against his chest and say up, forcing them to step up or tilt backwards. Do not jerk your finger away, even if bitten. Showing no fear is a very helpful tool. Practice this daily, one day it will work.

PS- It is NEVER too late to train a bird. I aquired a 22 year old wild caught Blue and God Macaw, she had been badly abused on top of being wild caught. I have her now 16 years, and is better behaved now then my handfeds!!! She is 38 yeras old, and learning new things everyday! Fowl mouth chicken!!
Both my parrots are store bought and they are both awesome birds, so I can't fault you for buying from a store.

I just want to add that if you follow all this advice and he still doesn't want to hop on your hand, so what? You still have an awesome little buddy who is happy and loves you, even if he doesn't think of you as a mobile tree. Love him for what he is and you will have a friend for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment