Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do you think my baby birds made it?

To make a long story short, I captured and raised 3 baby black birds because their nest blew down. They were tiny and pink and their eyes were not even open when I got them. They grew to be full grown black birds and then I let them go. They could all fly but since they were raised by me and not their parents, do you think they were eaten by cats or something? They were afraid of everyone but me so they were not tame birds at all. They were even sort of scared of me at times.

I hope they make it! I spent a lot of time raising them and I would be so sad if they were all killed! :(
Answers:
People should really stop it with the 'birds won't touch birds/eggs because they smell like humans' stuff. It's silly.

Often times, the birds will still be wild enough. Birds are instinctively afraid of humans; and since the birds grew up with two other pals, they know the difference between a bird and a human. And birds might be eaten by cats, regardless of how they were raised; it's just a matter of speed and reflexes.

Otherwise, I think you've done what's best. Most likely, your birds will recover just fine. (If they're not sitting on your doorstep, then you know they don't think of you as close family, which is good.)

Don't worry about it!
If you raised them to the point that they became reliant...releasing them was a stupid idea. Sorry to say but they probably died the first week. Animals become very reliant and you cant just take away the only food source they know. So sadly...i doubt they are alive :(
They may have. Baby birds that are touched by humans cannot go back to their mothers, because the mother will smell you on the bird. Since you let them go when they were full grown and could fly, there is a chance. There is a chance with any bird that is in the wild that it is eaten, it's nature, what can we do?

I hope they are ok too! I love birds!
You did what you could, and gave them a chance to live that they otherwise wouldn't have had.

Birds raised by their parents can come to a bad end, too.

You'll never know. If I were you, every time I saw a blackbird I would think "That might have been one of mine."
they should be fine. I know people who raised blue jays and they all became afraid of people after they were set free. Just as long as they are quick enough to get away from cats, they should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment