Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do hummingbirds have to have the red in their feeders?

I was wondering if hummers need the red in their feeders? The reason I was wondering is because I have feeders up with just the sugar water in them and they are drinking it. Is it something they need or is it just to get them to go to it?
Answers:
Some people believe it attracts the birds to the feeder but you have found out differently.
If the feeder itstelf is red and the liquid is clear..they'll come to the feeder. And no there is nothing in the color that they need.
Easy and great way to clean the feeder..use uncooked rice add a little warm water and shake..the rice will clean off the inside of the feeder..always works for me.
it is just something to catch there eye so they will come and eat. Sugar water is just fine.
Alot of modern feeders have red already on them to attract the birds. The red is an attempt to make them the color of food.
It attracts them to it. Last year I didn't have any red food coloring and I did what you did and they came. I've heard if they are not established they are unlikely to show up.

Love those hummingbirds! Love to watch them fight!!
No, it doesn't have to be red. I think it might just be to attract their attention. But if you put the feeders out every year, they will come back again and again.
No, they do not need the red in the food...the feeder color itself to enough to attract them. It is actually thought that adding the red food coloring can be harmful to them...so best to leave it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment