Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do Parakeets make good pets?

This is a special case, at a pet store near my house a prakeet was abandoned, beautiful young female, blue/white coloring, she looks in great condition and is free to any good home. If I am to get her, my family is going to pick her up tomorrow. So do parakeets make good pets? (we have an 11 year old dog) Thankyou!
Answers:
I adopted a parakeet who went through a lot of trauma--a little girl sprayed her in the face with hair spray and once she broke out of the cage and a dog almost ate her. I could never get her to stop pulling the feathers out of her neck nor could I get her tame enough to be out of her cage. I decided to buy her a friend, who she pecked and beat up every day for several months, until they fell in love and had babies. So if you want the parakeet for the cage only or perhaps breeding with another AND your dog is not the nippy type, go ahead. But it's never going to be a tame pet if it's been abused AND that's a big risk. However, as with all birds, if you find a breeder that has hand fed the hatchlings a parakeet can make a wonderful pet indeed. I can only suggest you meet with this bird and see if you can even hold it without getting one of your fingers nearly sliced off--because their bite is worse than any bird I've had.
Yes they do
there so cute and each one has its on personality, get one i have one and hes always happy and he can say a couple words
My mother had one when I was a teen and they chirp ALOT!
Would wake me up 6am on the weekends.

If you don't mind all the chirping and wake up calls, I'd say go for it!
absolutley. I actually found my first one outside.. must have gotten out of a cage somewhere. It was already tame and i was able to give him a home. They are really lovely birds with tons of personality. Do lots of reading and ask your pet store questions to ensure you give it the best environment possible,
they do they are really sweet i've had a few and i would recommend them to anyone!
They are good but they WILL keep you up all night because they NEVER stop chirping and sometimes gets rather annoying. So i wouldn't suggest it, but if you really want it, then you should get it. Hope I helped.
kinda they make messes
They are noisy...
They might make good pets, but I think it's way too depressing to look at a poor bird trapped in a cage - I wouldn't be able to enjoy it because of that.

However, the bird is, now, domesticated and would die in the wild, so - go for it. They don't require much maintainence, and they never pee on the floor...
They make wonderful pets but I would keep your dog away from her because my dog killed two of my grandmothers birds. And I thought she was harmless. But they take alot of care its not like a cat you know "food water a place to pee is all that it takes to keep a cat happy" That rule does not apply here because you must care for its beak and toes and feathers. Plus handle it regularly or she eventually wont let you handle her at all.
good luck
If you enjoy birds.. they make fun pets
yes unless your in to like fighting dogs are something like that poor bird
yes they make great pets. I have had one for the past 9 years and I love them to death. I taught one of them to give kisses. she would fly right to my shoulder and just sit there. i have never had a problem with anyone of my birds talking at night. If they are in a dark room they will fall right asleep. I don't believe in clipping their wings. If you work with them and watch them carefully you can let them fly around the house. The mess isn't that big of a deal.
I think parakeets make good pets, as long as you know what you're doing. keep them away from the cold - remember they come from the tropics. Do not smoke around them or use any chemicals around them. Feed them parakeet seed, look for the seed with the brightests colours - more colours means more vitamins and good stuff. Give them millet as a treat, but only as a treat. change their water at least twice a day - CLEAN water is very important for birds. You can feed them certain raw fruits and vegetables - but do your research before you do, some things (like avocados) can kill birds.

And remember, parakeets are birds - so most likely yours will always be making some sort of sound. Which is fun, unless it's in your room at 4 in the morning.
Spend time handling her every day and she will bond to you and become a wonderful pet.

Note though what looking after a parrot (including budgies/parakeets) requires. She needs a nice, big cage, she needs time out of her cage every day, don't keep her in a spare room where no one ever goes because they are very social creatures, and she needs a varied diet (not just bird seed).
Birds are great pets. I came into posession of a brother and sister pair that my niece cannot have right now, Brandy and Carrie. I vowed only to care for physical well being and not to get too attatched as every parakeet I had ever had before was eaten up by a dog or died of loneliness so I called these two chicken to avoid bonding with them.

Two years later I have two little feathered friends and I have expanded their names to Bran the Wise(boy) and Carrie Edwina Converse. Bran has his own toaster and Carrie has a china expresso cup in the Kitchen.
It is said that Parrots are like monkeys with wings, this I do not know very much about but I do know that parakeets are chipmunks with wings, cute, curious and destructive. Bran is singing to me to shut off the computer and cover their house(cage) with their blue blanket so all I can say is do it, lots of good info in Bird Talk mag.
Parakeets are good starter pets, pets for kids, so yeah, they make good pets, though they don't talk, and don't do much for tricks, if you tame them and treat them right they'll love you like a dog or a cat.
AS I WAS GROWING UP I HAD SEVERAL PARAKEETS, NOT ALL AT ONE TIME, BUT ONE TIME DID HAVE TWO.
HAD A LOT OF FUN WITH THEM. AT THE BEGINNING WE CLIPPED THEIR WINGS, LEFT THE DOOR OPEN TO THEIR CAGE, WOULD COME OUT AND WALK AROUND THE CAGE ETC.---THEN WINGS GREW BACK, WOULD LEAVE DOOR OPEN AND FLY AROUND, BUT IF YOU SHOULD EVER DO THIS, DO NOT HAVE WINDOWS UNCOVERED MAY FLY INTO IT. THE LAST ONE I HAD, WOULD FLY OVER AND SIT ON YOUR CHEST AND GIVE KISSES AND TALK TO YOU. HE LOVED GETTING IN THE SINK WITH THE FAUCET RUNNING A LITTLE. THEY CAN BE A LOT OF FUN AND SMART.-----CANNOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR DOG SINCE I DO NOT KNOW THE DOG, ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE ABOUT THAT. BUT, MY GRAND-DAUGHTERS HAMSTER GOT KILLED BY HER LITTLE DOG. WHEN THEY START MOULTING IT IS QUITE A MESS., LITTLE FEATHERS FLY ALL OVER. BUT I ENJOYED THEM. I HAVE FOUND IN MY EXPERIENCE THAT MALES SEEM TO BE SMARTER THEN FEMALES, IN PARAKEETS THAT IS. LOL--------ENJOY AND HAVE FUN !

No comments:

Post a Comment