Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do Momma Robins abandon their babies in a nest?

I have been watching a nest of week old baby robins in a nest, and their momma (%26 daddy). I find it so interesting. I have been watching them from my nearby window with binos, and I believe the momma is aware that I am watching. She also saw me at the tree once, when i thought she was away and wouldnt know, but as i was examing the nest, I heard her chirping and saw her on the fence, so i mmediately left. I also do alot of work at the hose spigot which is about 20 feet from the tree/nest. Lately, It seems the momma isnt sitting on the nest much, there are cold mornings that i think she should be there, keeping her featherless babies warm, but is gone for VERY LOOONG periods of time now, seemingly hours. I just wonder if she is changing her behavior because of perceiving me as interference.?
Answers:
This is normal. As the babies grow they get feathers which help them keep their temps without moms help. The babies snuggle together and share body heat. Keeping in mind that the babies are growing, they are also require more food. Mom at this point is frantically scavenging and hunting for food. Considering that a robins diet consists of some earthworms, it takes time to find enough food for all of the babies and herself.
Stop going to the tree that they are nesting in, you can scare the parents to the point of no return. Chances are everything is fine, but to be on the safe side just observe through the window.
No she is not leaving because of you. As the little birds grow older and older the mom will leave them for longer periods of time. She is probably out looking for food for them. A mother bird will not abandon her babies unless something happens to her of course. Soon you will see her teaching them how to fly.
Well first off stop bothering her nest. and second she isnt leaving because of you she has to find food for her young but at the same time you might frighten her a little bit.
nope

No comments:

Post a Comment