Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do button quails make good pets? how much do they cost?

i am thinking about getting a button quail..do they make good pets if tame? how uch do they cost? and what age are they fully weaned?
Answers:
I don't know much about keeping them, but they were selling them in the pet shop for 拢4 each.
I love my 'button' (Chinese Painted) quail, I couldn't do without them. It's so fun making their little houses out of logs, etc and watching them climb around and interact with each other.

Taming button quail can be difficult. I have never heard of an adult quail becoming tame. They only way I've seen them tame is if they are hand reared, which shouldn't be as difficult as other birds because they eat and walk by themselves right from the start. And a tame quail following you around everywhere and wanting cuddles is certainly adorable.

In Australia, it costs $5-$15 for an adult button quail. You may consider getting an egg from someone and an incubator suitable for quails. Be sure to do lots of research first. Try www.cyberquail.com
Button Quail are adorable. As far as good pets, you need to keep in mind that they are quail. They can be difficult depending on the age you get them. Young or babies will make better pets if you spend lots of time with them handling and getting them used to you. If you get them as an adult they are skittish, fast, scare easily, and impossible to hold. This is what I meant when I said to keep in mind that they are quails, Adults can be hard to handle and retain the "wild" quail behavior. One of a quails defenses is to jump straight up which poses a problem if they are in a small cage. They tend to scalp themselves (something to keep n mind)
They require a lot of special care as well. Dust baths, meal worms, greens, grains, feed, sun, vitamins.
I had an adult male who was absolutely adorable (teeny tiny). I am a wildlife rehabber and someone had found him after he was caught by a cat, they thought it was a wild bird. He was a full on adult and did not make a good pet. I put him in my aviary (with some of my Turtle doves) and he was my little vacuum. He cleaned up after my doves and ate the wasted seed that they left on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment