Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do You Know What Kind Of Sparrow Is Nesting In My Yard?

Yesterday, I found a small nest in one of our hanging artificial plants with two quite small eggs in it. They're off-white with brown speckles. The birds I've seen frequenting our yard look like your average Song Sparrow, but what I am assuming to be the male has a reddish head/chest. I've looked up Song Sparrows online and found that both the males and females of the species look just about the same (no mention of red at all). Does anyone have any idea what kind of Sparrow this might be that's nesting in my yard? Oh, and don't worry, I am not touching the eggs!! :)
Answers:
It sounds like you have described a male House Finch. The female does not have any red. The eggs are also as you have described. Click on this link or copy and paste it into your browser: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/allaboutbir...
It should take you right to a picture of a House Finch and great information, including the fact that the House Finch "often chooses a hanging plant in which to put its nest."
with out seeing it, i can't really tell you but there are many many typs of sparrow that are spicific to certan regions of the country so try looking into other areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment